Saturday, April 20, 2013

Lars and the "Honest" truth......



Two days.  Two days since returning from the Emerald Enchanters lair. Two days of tearing apart Ternelmor’s house. Two days with nothing to show but a single brass key. The town treasury had to be somewhere else, it was not in this house.

Leaving the ransacked abode the smuggler grumbles to himself. “An ale or two, is what I need.” Lars had never actually met the mayor prior to the parties arrival in Tegel. He had however, ”heard” of the man. He’d had to pay a tithe to start his smuggling operation to a representative of Ternelmor and Lars never paid out coin that he didn’t get back. This would be no exception.

The sky was gray and heavy with dark clouds rolling in from the sea.
“Last of the seasonal storms.” He thought to himself, drawing his threadbare cloak about himself.
The wind was picking up, and by tomorrow at the latest the full force of the storm would be upon the town. Something about the clouds disturbed him as he looked up at them.

“I’ve seen a storm like this twice before.” Calis was suddenly next Lars. The tall elf had an unnerving way of appearing without being heard. “The first time was on the night of Tyrrians birth.”

The hairs on the back of Lars neck began to prick. “And the second time?”

“The day Thora died, and the rest of you went after the denizens of the pit. Changes are coming Lars, for good or ill.” The elf then turned and strode off in the direction of Heroes hill.

Scratching his chin, Lars shakes off the odd feeling as he enters the tavern.

“Well my boy, do the mayoral burdens weigh upon you so much that I should see you this early in the day?” The good friar says consolingly. The scent of a tantalizing stew drifts from the kitchen behind the bar. An ale is placed in front of the brooding man.
“The villagers are looking to talk with you. The town hall is tonight, here in the market square.”

“I know,” drinking the ale in one gulp, “give me another.” Handing the cup back Lars turns from the bar and catches sight of Garrote through an open shutter. The dark halfling enters the tavern and moves directly to him.

“Anything?” he asks the little gypsy.


“Well, at first no.” Garrote huffs as climbs up onto a man sized stool. “Beavis an ale!”
“At first, but then…” urges Lars.
“But then I get to talking with Maghoula. And she says there’s a locked chamber in the basement of the Watch tower.” The halfling slugs back a gulp of ale. “An iron door, with only one key.” Another swig of ale. “One key held by the Mayor.”

“A key, I believe we have in our possession.” Says Lars leaning back against the bar sipping his second cup.

The basement of the watch tower contains only three unused cells and a single heavy iron door. Trying the key in the lock Lars’ blood quickens as the door opens.

“She said Ternelmor kept the tribute here for the Skandiks.” Garrote steps lightly into the small chamber.

The two adventurers are greeted by the sight of broken barrels, crates, two upended chests, and a handful of out turned sacks. Kneeling, the halflings scoops up a palm full of forgotten coppers.


“So much for the treasury of Tegel.” Huffs the little gypsy, “What do we do now?”

“What we do now,” pausing to lock the iron door. “is keep this to ourselves. It is possible a lot of the treasure we currently have belonged here. I’m sure I can devise a way to deal with the Skandiks.”

DUSK: Market Square

Lars stands upon a trestle table overlooking a large crowd of peasants. Next to him Garrote sits with a ledger and quill pen in hand. The Heroes of Eros watch from the porch of the White horse, as other town notables join the gathering.

“Good people of Tegel,” the crowd turns, “I am Lars of Eros. My fellow survivors and I came here after the destruction of our village by the man-beasts. Ternelmor, offered us hospitality and a chance to start anew in exchange for our help with a darkness that besieged good Tegel. We agreed and in doing so revealed your Mayor as the mastermind of a plot to sacrifice all who would not convert to the hell pit of Palimdybis! We lost some of own in this endeavor, and succeeded. We have given new life to your fields and hope to your souls.” Lars casts a look to Sally and Beavis.
“You all live under the dark shadow of the Manor on the hill. A life none of you deserve, and a fate the Heroes of Eros look to change. However a more immediate matter presses. Even now the Skandiks sail from Ossary to collect their bi-annual tribute for Jarl Alsgaard. Ternelmor and the cult sacrificed that tribute to their demon. There is nothing to give the Skandiks.”


Lars is surprised at the lack of reaction from the crowd, just as he is about to continue the crowd surges forward breaking into a cacophony of cries!
  
“You’re not going to force more of that brown weed to grow in my shite field are you!”
“Where’s Sir Robert, does he know what you lot ‘ave been up too?”
“What have you done to the pale angels?”
“Are you saying we owe you coin? Cause I’ve got none to give.”
“A giant ate my goat yesterday! What do you plan to do about that!”
“Heroes bah! More trouble than your worth!”
“The angels don’t come anymore because of that Red-Sally and her Goddess!”
“All the rats ‘ave gone, an my rat pie cart business is suffering ‘cause of you all I’m sure!”

A knot of peasants begin pushing and yelling at each other, drowning out the accusations of the rest as tensions begin to rise. Others crowd together casting suspicious glances towards Alexander while a few withdraw from the crowd into the growing shadows of the evening.

“Good people!” shouts Lars getting the crowds attention. “I have heard your concerns and they have been noted. Now please, ale for you all then return home and know I will do my best for you.”

As Beavis oversees the staff of the tavern, Lars and Garrote join the rest of the party on the porch. “Did you get all of that?” asks Lars taking a deep breath.

“Yes, most of it.” States the halfling, scribbling furiously in the ledger.


Turning to the collected heroes Lars gestures to the tavern entrance. “Let’s all go inside and talk about what to do next.”

The group files into the dim common room, Beavis closes the door behind them having left the staff outside supplicating the crowd with drink. A lantern is turned up and the party is surprised to be face to face with a young nobleman.


“Well Heroes of Eros, what are you going to do?”

15 comments:

  1. Tarek: Wow, the towns folk don't seem too happy, Lars. If I didn't know better, I would expect the pitchforks and torches would've come out - if it wasn't for Beavis' staff and his wonderful ale.

    It appears that there's more than just a storm brewing in the sky - looks like one is brewing here in town. I am sorry that Tyrrian is not here to confer with us, but he told me last night he had some wild dream and that he needed to use the forge. He's in the forge as we speak.

    However, before heading to forge in his single-minded, determined way - he did tell me he thinks that a trip to the City of the Invincible Overlord might be necessary. He said there were some materials he needed for some projects that were just not available here or in the surrounding areas.

    I for one am all for a trip to the City. Marcus has told me of this place in the City called the Plaza of Pleasures, sounds like a great place to, ahhm sow some oats.

    (After a gaze in the direction of the City and a look of longing, Tarek takes a big gulp from his ale)

    Tarek: Sir Robert, I hope you are not here for this (holding the deed to Tegal Manaor). I won it fair and square, unless you can prove otherwise.

    However, if I was unlucky man, I would give this back to you. That manor is a meat grinder. Please tell me, Sir Robert, what is the story of the Manor, what horrors truly lie behind its doors and within its catacombs. What has your family done to curse this town so?

    More importantly, do you think we, the Heroes of Eros, are capable of reclaiming the manor and freeing the people of this town from its depravity? Mind you, we are what you see - do we posses the skill, mettle, and resources needed to reclaim Tegal Manor? What say you?

    (Tarek, leans back in his chair, drinking from his, intently staring at Sir Robert for his reply).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir Robert: Fear not Tarek, you may hold the deed for as long as you can. One way or another it always seems to return to me. I have to admit, you all have held the longest of any so far during my stewardship. I commend you all for braving that place is no small feat.
    Do I think you have the mettle? More so than most. Do I think you have the skill and resources? I'm of noble lineage and means, and I don't have the means. Why do you think you have the deed. Heroes are cheaper than mercenaries.
    As for my family. Well I believe you've come closer to some of my relatives than even I would choose to. The origins of our curse lie buried in a thousand years of rumor, lies, murder and betrayal. By the Hell-pits I'm not even sure we can be saved anymore. For as bad as the manor is, it serves as its own safeguard to the Tegel lands. You have more to fear from the Jarl if the Manor were cleansed than not.

    Robert leans back propping both feet on the table and drains a goblet of Losborsts'finest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tarek: (Slowly taking in Robert's words as he takes longer to drink a pint than it ever has taken him before.)

    Well Robert, I do appreciate your honesty. And, after what I saw behind those walls, and in the immediate vicinity, I would agree that not even my luck will hold long without better gear and more skills.

    (Waving at Beavis for another pint, Tarek slowly shifts his gaze from Robert back to Lars).

    Lars, I have to agree with Robert on the matter of the Jarl. The Jarl is not man to be trifled with, especially when he is angry. You might think a longboat or two of Skandiks is easy pickens, but they are tougher than you may think. I've had the lucky, but more importantly, the unlucky run-ins with the Skandiks in the past. (As Tarek mutters some kind of Skandik curse in low words and shifts in his seat, apparently favoring his right side as if he was sore from some wound suffered long ago).

    Let's just say they don't take kindly to those they feel owe them something that they aren't getting. If the Jarl is expecting tribute from the mayor of Tegal, and he doesn't get it - you don't want to be the mayor he comes looking for!

    I say we get out of here, and when the Skandiks arrive, the town folk can explain their mayor skipped town with their tribute - maybe the Skandiks will only ransack the town until they get some supplies - the alternative is far worse, trust me... (as Tarek mutters another Skandik curse and takes a big gulp from his new pint of ale).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well they are in need of prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may be an honest merchant, but I have yet to meet an honest politician. Sir Robert I believe it is time for you to Knight young terrian, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a Knight with or without being knighted by Sir Robert. My title is granted to me by more than just a mere man.

      Delete
    2. Sir Robert: Knight the lad you say?! Well honestly that isn't something you just toss about. Even here in Tegel. Besides I don't think you could afford it. (drinks from bottle) Or can you? If you have the coin I have an inked quill, though I won't promise anyone else you'll meet will give my family name much credence. (eats some of Moep's superior rabbit stew).

      Delete
    3. "Sir" (sarcasm) Robert, you can keep your ink, and stay your quill, for I have no need of your "knighting" or endorsement. For I am a Knight of Law, and do not need a piece of parchment signed by a country noble, paid for with coin and drink, to make me so. A knight is something achieved by deeds, skill at arms, and dedication to the service of law and order, not from a common room bribe...

      Delete
  6. Tarek: Yes, I was wondering what the Pale Angels were, as well.

    It sounds like Tegal will have some means of protection without us here - between the Manor, the town watch, Brother Beavis, the Sisters and the Abbey, and the Pale Angels (whatever they are - Tegal can survive without the Heroes of Eros for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir Robert: Pale Angels, hmmm. If I were to hazard a guess. They are some of my Great Great Uncles' wives. He did have a penchant for the prettiest slave girls. I wouldn't worry, they'll start visiting those schleps again as soon they can sneak away from Radu. They were probably put on lock-down after your last foray at the Manor.

      Quite a racket that night by the way, I couldn't sleep and had to drain 4 bottles to blot you all out.

      Delete
    2. Tarek; Radu? Is that your Great Great Uncle? He still "lives" in the Manor? Furthermore, these Pale Angels, they didn't happen to look like (Tarek decribes the Ladies in Waiting he encountered in the Manor)?

      And, if Radu is your Great Great Uncle, and he still inhabits the Manor, in what shape is he???

      Delete
  7. Unwashed peasants and dirty mezzicans need a lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sally: May the blessings be upon all of eros! Mesha will bring the seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. On today, the birthday of “The Rock” I am here to say, do you smell what The Rock is cooking? I can tell you a rolling stone gathers no moss. However, a rock that rolls can not build a home. We should build with the stones we have. Rock beats scissors. The only difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is the way you use them. When a king reigns it is thanks to the people, when a river sings it is thanks to the stones. Gifts break rocks.
    River stones remain, while water flows away
    He who has a glass head should not throw stones at others.
    He who hunts for an elephant should not stop to throw stones at birds.
    He who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones first
    Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without one
    Don’t waste too many stones on one bird
    When you see a rock coming, it hurts less.
    Beware of falling Rocks.

    I am a rock. I am an island. I am from the dawn of time. I have history and personality of ages. I am shaped by pressure, fire, water, earth, and air. I am a mountain. I am a pebble. I am older than elves and the first men. I swam under oceans, seas, and rivers. I am older than dirt, clear as mud, and rock solid. I am a pet rock and the lucky stone.

    The Rock.

    ReplyDelete