Saturday, June 15, 2013

Prelude to Encounters at Sea!

As the Dragon boat heads South East following the "pull" of the Red Metal Key, Captain James calls attention to a few things.

Capt. James Hook (Hookah)
  "Since we set out early this morning from Modron with only a single day's worth of supplies, we have a few things to think about. I understand the Sea Queen says time is short, but we need to try to supply ourselves as best we can. I will out line our choices, slim though they are."

1) Isle of Croy: We could make landfall there before dark tonight in Tinker Cove. The place is ruled by Jarl Melrik, he pays tribute to Ossary but does not follow their ways. Supplies could found there easily, but not cheaply, and we could be on our way again by morning.

2) The area we sail in and must pass through is plied by the Red Brotherhood, pirates of the worst kind. It will take all my sailing skill for us to not fall afoul of those reavers. If we do it will be no quarter, fight or die.

3) Isle of Slumber: We can reach this place as well before dark. Though I would advise against it. The likelihood of fresh water, fruits and whatever could be scavenged from the ancient ruins along the coast would not equal the dangers presented by the rumored apes that guard the fabled Well of Wishes.

4) Isles of the Shadow Serpent: As the name I think makes plain, we should give as wide a berth to this place as we can without losing time in our quest. This pair of close set isles lies just south of us as well and could be reached just after dark.

5) Eerie Isle: We could arrive here by dawn if we continue sailing now. I have anchored here once before and was able to procure a ration of fantastic; almost magical; fresh water by appeasing the nixies that rule the island. If we go there, we MUST abide by very specific rules to not raise the ire of the fay peoples.

6) Isles of Wight: Can be reached by late in the day tomorrow if we sail now. There are no permanent settlements that I know of and at least three other Captains I trust have made landfall there to resupply, though they all said they stayed no longer than needed.

7) Tomb Isle: A place I shall avoid at all cost, there is nothing more to say.

8) Vortex Isle: Lies close to Tomb isle and would be our last chance to get fresh water or food of any kind before making for the Lone Ait. The drawback would be that a large tribe of Reptile men rule this place. I have heard they can be traded with, but never met anyone who has done so.

9) Lone Ait: I fear I know of this place, and I have avoided all my life, as have all those who sail the Winedark Sea. Noxious vapors obscure the place from view, and the sea is slick with an oily tar that traps both sea birds and fish. Sailors give this place wide berth and shun it. I know it is where the she bids us to go, and I will take you there though it frightens me to my very bones.

 "Now that you know what lies before us, how would you have me sail?"

The results:
Votes for Isle of Croy: Tarek, Tyrrian, Alexander, Sally, Lars

Votes for Eerie Isle: Capt. James, Gilligan, Moep, Max, Chauncey

Swing Vote: Chi, who stated she would go to Croy if Alexander and the rest of the party wanted, but she'd like to go to Eerie as an alternative.

 *DM: We will take one more round of comments to decide our destination for the "Encounters at Sea" portion of Blog adventures. I would suggest either PC's name and destination choice, or a short "In character" argument or statement for your choice of destination.

FINAL OUTCOME:  We sail for Croy!

23 comments:

  1. So many options and all of them sound enticing, especially those that offer further adventure and a chance to bring Sashu's justice to pirates and evil abominations, but we are also in a hurry. I would say that Croy is the most logical, but I know that Tarek may not like it, as he has history with the Skandiks of Ossary. Tarek, should we choose Croy, I will stand with you, and if the Skandiks hordes wish harm upon you, then I will face the horde with you, as brothers, to the end.

    Tarek: I have no desire to voluntarily deal with Skandiks that pay tribute to Ossary! However, our options are limited and I do know their ways, I may be the best to trade with them. My first inclination would be to try for the Isle of Wight, but a day without fresh water will be difficult. I will conduct myself as best as possible for the sake of the group and the quest - I say Croy is our best option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Capt. James: The Jarl pays tribute, but has no love for
      Alsgaard of Ossary. He likes to much the gold he gets from trading. It would be the safest though I think.

      Delete
  2. Tarek: I will trust your judgement Captain, as this is your realm. If they value trade, then perhaps they can be dealt with. I will volunteer to be part of the landing party since I speak Skandik and know their customs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will go with you Tarek, just in case. I will remain silent and let you do the talking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chi: chi says croy. As long as it is ok with alexander....or the rest of the party.

    Chi also likes the sound of the Well of Wishes, very interesting.... OOHH!! and the nixies too! I could talk to them for us. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Capt. Hookah: Yes, Chi would be very helpful. We might get a better bargain than I got last time with the faeries.

      Delete
  5. Chauncey: I Say Isle's 5 or 6.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pir-Rets... Ewee No thanks. Pixies, Nixies and fey sound nice... I say breakfasts on Eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote isle of Croy. Mesha wills it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally: I wish I could create food and water with a spell!

      Delete
    2. DM: There's always that Divine Intervention deal. If your feeling like a risk taker.

      Delete
    3. I would also not mind meeting the lizard men of Vortex Isle. I would love some new shoes and so would Chi!

      Delete
  8. While many options exist, I would say the mission at hand is "urgent" and requires us to pass up many fun islands and advantures and focus on the task at hand. I have no fear that those other side track adventures will be there to help us risk our lives after we save the world.

    That said, I think we would have had to be out of our minds to leave shore with no stores or water. Neither I, nor any captain I know would risk it. Somehow in our rush to leave Modron and "Not waste time before we leave" my best laid plans seem to have not been carried out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Capt. Hookah: Now I asked you what we needed, and you all said it would simply be an 6 hour tour. We have enough to get us safely to any of the Isles I mentioned, or even back to Modron. I can get you to the Lone Ait in 3 days. All you have to ask yourselves is how much do you want to suffer?

      Delete
    2. Captain I was simply speaking my mind about our haste in leaving not anything about you personally.

      Delete
    3. Capt Hookah: No offense taken, Lars. You land-lubbers tend to get a bit sketchy when things go awry at sea.

      Delete
  9. [Moep] I err would be willin to perhaps give up one of my breakfasts to speed thing along....{Stomach Growls}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Everyone has voted, Chi is the swing. I'm just giving everybody a last chance to throw out anything else before the course is laid in. As it stands now it looks like Croy wins, but I'm waiting til Friday before I start writing what happens next.

      just in case......

      Delete
  11. My boat, my vote: I think we have no time to waste on side trek adventures. I have no idea what would delay us the least. That said, the Isle of Wight has the least threatning sounding description. The Isle of the Shadow Serpant also has an interesting description as well as the Isle of Slumber.

    I think that we should consider what will add the least amount of time to our journey.

    Croy would be a fast port stop if we can avoid trouble with the locals. Wight could be safer all around. This is my 2 coppers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still vote for Croy as does Tarek. One thing that several people must have overlooked in regards to Eerie is that there are very specific rules to dealing with the fey, according to the captain. I would venture to guess that one of those rules is that no one will be allowed to have any items of iron on their person while on that island. Sorry, but I would refuse to go anywhere where I cannot be armed. Nor do I want to risk sneaking anything onto or off of that island.

    As Lars has mentioned, we are on a quest that is highly time sensitive. We will have plenty of time to play with elves, hunt pirates, and slay lizard men and sea serpents later.

    We (Tarek and I) are strongly in favor of going to Croy and getting what we need as quickly as possible with as few distractions and delays as possible.

    And for the record, should the ultimate choice be Eerie, I will be staying aboard the ship!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Plus, I thought that the Capt. originally voted for Croy, also.

    ReplyDelete