Wednesday, May 1, 2024

White Star: Star Rogues episode 6, part 1

 Episode 6: The Orpheus Cycle - part 1


Players:            date played: 1/5/24

Maximillan Arden

Yuug the Star Knight Apprentice - Selina

Maximillan Arden Aristocrat/Free Trader - Mark

N0-VAK-33: Bodyguard Robot - Deborah



Location: 

Red Shift - Kelron Sector - Argon Station - Vector 14/33

Cantos had sent word that the upgrades on the Stellar Coyote were completed. Maximillan was eager to get some cargo and start trading. But first a quick stop on the the way to the docking bay for a bite to eat. "This might be my last solid meal that isn't Basic for a few weeks." Thought the young Trader to himself. Nearing the diner, Maximillan notices a very young humanoid being grifted by a Vaccsuit Salesrep!

Rep: If you need creds kid, have I got the job for you. Vacc-suit tester! You test our refurbished suits and you get paid per suit that passes inspection!

Young Humanoid: Great, how many suits do I have to test?

Rep: As many as you like my good fellow. It just depends on how much you want to earn...

Young Humanoid: I just need enough to pay for a low passage. So how much per suit?

Rep: 75cr per suit that passes inspection son! See it's a win win for you! Simple job great pay!


Arden couldn't help but overhear what was happening. "Don't get involved. This is how it starts...." thought the dashing Trader to himself. He stopped and turned around mumbling under his breath as he walked up to the Spaces-suit booth.

Max: [ placing a hand on the shoulder of the humaoind] Hang on kid, this guy is setting you up.

Young Humanoid: What are talking about mister. This sounds like a great job!?

Rep: Of course it is son, just sign this waiver and you can get started now! [ the Rep holds out his comp-tablet].

Max: Nope, he's not signing or testing anything. What's your name kid?

Young Humanoid: um, Yuug. Well, apprentice Yuug actually. I'm looking for my Master, we got separated on arrival and...

Max: [rolling his eyes, and turning back to the Rep] Find another mark, this kid's protected. [ Max flips back his cape revealing his sword to the astonsished salesman].

Rep: Oh! I see, of course young Master.

Moments later in a booth, Max is downing his third drink in as many minutes while half-paying attention to the VERY talkative apprentice Yuug.

Yuug: ... and then I realized this was another of Master's test for me. See he will purposely disappear and I have to find him. It's a training ritual that all apprentices have to endure, this is the [ the young humanoid counts to himself while wiggling his figers] thirteenth, no fourteenth trial this cycle! Master says he's amazed at how good I am at tracking him...

Max: [waving over the robo-waiter] Another Blue-Nova, and a daily special. Kid, you hungry?

Yuug: ...I even found him once on an abandoned station..hungry? Oooh, do you have Cheese Toasties?

Max: Bring two, no three of those toasties. Double up on my Nova, thanks.

Yuug: Anyway, we were looking into those slaves who were being smuggled out of this sector and I..

Max: Did you say you were on an abandoned station with your master? In this sector?

Yuug: Oh yeah, it was umm... Brinn B! Creepy place too I ....

Max: [shoving a cheese toasty in Yuug's mouth as the Robo-waiter delivers their order] Ok, yeah eat this kid, and um keep your voice down. Here it comes, I know better than to do this....

At the counter, a sleek Combat model Robot watched the pair of biologicals in the booth. The older human was showing high levels of stress, and was drinking excessivley. The younger one was very talkative and wore a distinctive clothing pattern that was quite rare. The robot rose from her stool and walked toward the pair.

N0-VAK-33
    Max: [ hand sliding to his pistol, as the obvious robot moved his way] Just hold it right there, I got a thing about robots.

    N0-VAK-33: Your "thing" does not concern me. However, the welfare of the youngling does. If you continue to imbibe at your current rate, my programming will not allow me leave the youngling in your care.

    Max: Fine by me, he's not mine anyway.

    Yuug: [between bites of toastie] ooh! A lady-bot! Are you going to copulate with it mister?? I've heard....

Max & N0-VAK-33: NO!

Max: By the Star Gods kid, I don't do that kind of...I just don't like robots. They creep me out...

N0-VAK-33: I am not a pleasure model. I am a Freelance Protective Service Agent. Lisc#BG-delta-1. At your service.

Max: A Bodyguard class? You know what, I accept the offer. [ Max pulls out a cred-stik] What are your rates?

Yuug: [eating the third toastie] you need a bodyguard mister?

N0-VAK-33: Two-hundred credit deposit, minimum 48hour contract. By the hour rates are negotiable as are longer term contracts. [ a holograpic display shimmers from the palm of the robots hand].

Yuug: Hourly rates, Master said that's copulation talk . . .

Max: [giving Yuug a shut your mouth look] Ok, I want a ten day contract with option to extend if needed and full life coverage, for the kid.

Yuug: hey, I don't need a bodyguard!

Max: Well for the next ten days, or until we locate your master, or I get you out of this sector you have one.

The players spent the following three days backtracking Yuug's arrival on thr station and the whereabouts of his elusive Master. The pair had arrived on Argon via the heavy transport ship: Tui Tokelau run by the Diginano Company. Inquiring at the ship they located a physical book left in Yuug's name. Within the book the group discovered a cypher hand written in the margins.
The code was taken to an ice-breaker that Max knew and 5 hours later they had a Starship registration code. It was determined the cod belonged to a private free trader named: Orpheus. Max was able to get a passenger manifest for the trader and they discovered the Master had purchased passage aboard her.

Max: Looks like the Orpheus is headed for the Tellian system and Andala station. If we leave now, we might be able to catch your Master on Andala.

Yuug: You have a ship! And you'll take me to meet my Master?!

Max: Against my better judgement, yes. I'm offering to take you to Andala Station.

N0-VAK-33: Let's be on our way then.

Stay tuned for part 2 of The Orpheus Cycle.


No comments:

Post a Comment