Saturday, October 20, 2018

Paper Miniatures and Me!

I am and have been a fan of Miniature figures since my first set of Heritage Paint & Play: Caverns Of Doom! Over the years I have collected, painted, sold, given away and traded many many figures.
Heritage Miniatures

Now almost 4 decades into this hobby I find myself overwhelmed with the amount of choices and types of figures out in the wide world. Adding the access the internet has enabled and those choices are almost limitless and constantly something new is popping up.

I have found that I just couldn't keep up with all the figures I liked, wanted, might use, etc. etc. Not to mention the arduous task of painting everything and then storage as well for hundreds of figures! Ugh!

A couple of years ago I stumbled upon Okumarts free set of paper Star Trek figures. This set changed the world of miniatures for me.

I still have a lot of of my old lead figures, and some new castings of great old school stuff, but I knew I couldn't keep up with the figure overload I was running into. I just couldn't paint everything and have it table ready for whatever game I was doing. Paper minis has helped me tackle this situation.

David Okum of Okumarts is by far my favorite and Go-To guy for paper figures. He also designs his own games that go along with his figures so you get the best of two worlds here! Figures you can use in your own games as well as cool games to play with the Figures themselves! I have talked about Okumarts before on the Blog and you should check out his stuff:
I also suggest you give the Patreon site a try, For $3 a month you get access to all sorts of figures first and insights and previews into what David is doing. I have really enjoyed being a part of that!

Right now David is looking for people to join his site on MeWe.com, this is a social site where a lot of use have moved to since the Great Google G plus debacle! He just hit 100 members and everybody got a set of cool Doctor Who minis based on the most recent Doctor for FREE!


Come on and join us and help choose what the next set of Dr. Who figures will be! I mean seriously, who couldn't use a Time Lord in just about any game you run!

Anyway, let me give you some reasons why Paper minis have really worked out great for me!

#1 - I'm OLD! My eyes aren't what they used to be and painting tiny figures has become an even greater chore for me. So now I reserve painting a figure to a really cool Character figure or a super cool Monster. The great array of paper mini choices allows me to fill out mobs of lesser creatures and hordes of NPC's etc. Plus there are tons of Paper figure options for creatures, PC's and NPC's for every Genre!!

#2 - TIME! Time, to play! I'm not a teenager with loads of free time anymore. In a week period of about 6 hours or so I printed, assembled, and played with more paper figures than I ever could have done with regular miniatures.

#3 - Storage Space! I have close to two hundred paper miniatures now all stored in a craft bin that takes up less space that one of my Miniature Carry cases. For me and my current living space this is a BIG Deal!!

Now I will never stop gettinng Miniatures by any means, but adding Paper figures has allowed me to narrow my focus on what figures I purchase, and has expanded my collection 100 fold of what I can put on the table without backlogging my hobby table with unpainted figures!

In the end, I say if you have been on the fence about Paper figures check them out. There are a lot of talented creators out there that make all sorts of figures. Check out some of my other posts and see the Paper figures in action along with regular minis. It may be just what you need to spice up your table!




No comments:

Post a Comment